The Betws Community Council was originally formed in 1980. We have meetings once a month which are held every second Wednesday of the month at Betws RFC. All are welcome to attend.
History and the Parish Council
Until the 19th century all matters concerning the Parish of Betws were the responsibility of the church.The administrative system of the church (council) was well documented and all transactions are recorded in a collection of registers called the Vestry Minutes. They date fro 1706-1894 and are kept at the Carmarthen Records Office. During the 19th century there were strong objections from the non church going sector, they felt that the church was dominating the affairs. In 1984 the Parish Council was formed which was independent of church control. The first clerk was the Headmaster of Glanaman Primary school. All meetings were conducted in Welsh. From 1934-1947 a solicitor’s clerk held the position of Clerk.
From 1947-1961 Gwynfor Evans of Groeslwyd Farm took up the post of clerk. (He was the one to get electricity to Betws, free of charge). From 1961-1970 Tom Evans took over the duty.
The Parish of Betws which had been in existence for at least at least a thousand years before the emergence of Ammanford would have been lost, the people of Betws were unhappy with the situation and began to object. Ammanford on the other hand were keen to keep control of Betws.
Betws people organised a meeting and from the meeting the fight to gain control of their own community began. A commissioner was called to investigate, he concluded his report in favour of returning to a parish. Ammanford strongly objected and insisted on a Poll. The result was a majority of 5-3 voted in favour of Betws, so the village and surrounding area was returned into the Parish of Betws. A new Community Council was later formed.
Source: Betws Mas o’r Byd – Published by Betws History Group